Friday, December 14, 2012

a PREVIEW: Philippines

"Violeta" 26x30 canvas giclee. Edition 1/1. Internacional by Kat Reeder 2012
Here is a preview of one of my newest works, "Violeta", inspired by the Pagapir fan dance of the Philippines.

According to an entry on DanceandDance.com: "Pagapir depicts a royal manner of "walking" among the Maranao people who live mainly around Lake Lanao. Ladies of the royal court perform this stately dance in preparation for an important event. The ladies gracefully manipulate the Aper (apir) or fan, while emphasizing their small steps, or "kini-kini", which symbolizes their good manners and prominent family background."
I'm sure this dance has a long and colorful history. I look forward to learning more from my filipino fans about this style. After all, this show is about sparking conversation and learning----and I just LOVE to learn new things.

For now, this is my interpretation of this beautiful dance in visual form. Remember, only one canvas print will be available so make sure to snag it before it's gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment